‘This programme is suitable for anyone living with diabetes and will really contribute to better control of the condition’
Dr Tony O’Sullivan
Dublin GP, former Chair of International Diabetes Federation (Europe) and diabetes expert.
At Personal Health we have designed a programme that empowers the individual through improved wellness and lifestyle balance, because we know these powerful strategies can optimise your health and happiness.
The scientific literature is full of evidence supporting the use of exercise and nutrition programmes when it comes to helping people with their Diabetes.
In 2011, Anna Chudyk and her research colleague Dr. Robert Petrella found that increased physical activity led to the following health benefits:
- Improved Insulin sensitivity (more efficient use of your own stores of insulin)
- Improved fat oxidation (breaking down fats)
- Improved lipid storage
- Reduced HbA1c – (lower blood sugar levels)
What exactly do these changes mean? Put simply folks, these changes point to one thing – BETTER HEALTH. Large scale studies have shown that improving HbA1c leads to a decreased risk of diabetic complications such as kidney disease, neuropathy, cataracts and heart disease.
Inspiration for our programme
Thanks to the work of Kevin Craddock and his team, which was published in 2016, we know that gains from increased exercise are further improved if the higher physical activity levels are combined with counselling on diet, nutrition and weight control.
Why are Diabetes Exercise Programmes important?
- Research shows that changing diet and exercise levels is possible, but it’s hard and even harder to stick at it.
- With diabetes, it can feel like you’re being forced to make changes that you didn’t ask for. Find your flow with the condition, and you can be the healthiest and happiest you’ve ever been!
- At Personal Health we have the tools, knowledge & experience to support you on your journey
- Find and set your goals: We work to find barriers & opportunities, to focus on your priorities
- Meet people, support each other: Our groups work hard, laugh & share
More than change: Our programmes are open and ongoing, so we will always be here for you
Small, continuous actions are the foundation of habits that stick
How does our Diabetes Programme work?
Once an initial screening is complete and the client is happy to progress, an exercise and diet programme can begin. This involves a therapist-led exercise class once a week for 4 weeks. During each class you will be supported through most, or all of the following activities:
- Warm up: Cardio plus stretching
- Strength training: Upper body and lower body, single exercises plus exercise circuits
- Balance & Coordination: Fun and progressive practise tasks to help you optimise your balance and movement control
- HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training – Fun, short bursts of exercise
- Mat work: including diaphragmatic breathing, stretching and movement with awareness
- Functional movement used as much as possible (e.g. Stand. Get to the floor. Stand again)
- Modifications where needed to support “relative rest” and active injury management.
Advice on pacing and safe meaningful progressions
The programme includes a monthly workshop hosted by our Consultant Dietitian, Caoimhe O’Leary, who will cover different topics every month and keep the advice as practical as possible.
Who is our programme for?
Our program is for people OF ALL AGES, SHAPES AND SIZES, who have been diagnosed with Diabetes.
We place great importance on our participants feeling comfortable during every session, and therefore we want you to know that you will be grouped based on age and current fitness levels.
Format of the Programme
First step is to meet with one of our Chartered Healthcare Professionals (Physiotherapist or Occupational Therapist) for a pre-programme screen. This step allows us to assess your current fitness and functional capacity. We believe this to be a very important aspect that helps us assign you to a group in which you will feel most supported and comfortable.
Cost: €65 for 40-minute session
The initial screening is also very useful as it provides the baseline to which we can compare your progress in the future.
However if you would like to skip this initial step, that is also fine.
Second Step: The exercise and diet programme comprises of 4 exercise classes, once a week for 4 weeks, plus an education seminar within that 4-week period. This format rolls every 4 weeks. If you miss a week due to other commitments, no problem! You can complete your 4 sessions in 5 weeks at no extra cost.
Cost: One 4-week cycle costs €99
Medical Card Holder €79
If at any point you would like to be reassessed, to compare your progress to your baseline assessment, you can book with one of the Healthcare Professionals (Physiotherapist or Occupational Therapist) for a progress assessment.
Cost: €65 for 40-minute session
Please contact us if you would like any more information, or if you would like to enrol!
16/17 Rathgar Road, Rathmines, Dublin 6
01 496 4002